Fresh Start NL was set up a few years ago as a result of the Syrian Resettlement Programme. Its aim is to promote equality and integration within and between communities in North Lanarkshire - with a focus on education, health, welfare and social inclusion for refugee, minority ethnic, migrant communities and others who are moving and settling in North Lanarkshire.
Due to a change in committee, Fresh Start NL officially relaunched on 6th December 2019 in One Wellwynd, Airdrie. Representatives from local community groups and statutory agencies attended, along with Provost Cllr Jean Jones and Cllr James Logue, Leader of North Lanarkshire Council, to find out more about Fresh Start NL’s future plans, which include:
- A one stop shop for advice, support and signposting to relevant agencies which will help new people become settled in North Lanarkshire
- Resources, activities and services which will benefit new people settling in North Lanarkshire
- Links to volunteers and services in communities which can assist with effective integration.
- Raising awareness of the issues new people face when settling in North Lanarkshire
- Support to develop effective and efficient integration in North Lanarkshire.
It was also an opportunity to reflect on past events and successes and also to thank the previous committee members, Aaliya Seyal and Katrina McGhee, for their valuable contribution to the formation and development of Fresh Start NL.
Fresh Start NL work in partnership with and are supported by:
- Voluntary Action North Lanarkshire
- North Lanarkshire Council
- Third Sector Organisations
- Multi Faith groups.
- Scottish Refugee Council
Partnership working is crucial to the growth and development of Fresh Start NL, to help establish them as the “go to” group for people settling in North Lanarkshire.
Fresh Start NL would like to thank all third sector organisations and other agencies for attending and Heart of Africa for providing the delicious lunch!
For more information on Fresh Start NL contact Chaimae Baqqari:
Phone: VANL on 01236 748011